These are a great treat for a special occasion and not one I would give my dogs all the time as they are high in Salt and fat.
However, you will find your dogs standing at the oven begging for the treats to be ready
Ingredients for Mouth Watering Homemade Bacon Dog Treats
1/4 cup of Bacon Grease or goose fat
3 cups of flour (preferably whole grain)
1/2 cup of oats
1 cup of Peanut Butter (preferably natural)
4 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup water (preferably filtered)
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3 or 170 C
- Gentle cook the bacon (ideally Grill) until Crispy and pat with kitchen towel to get as much fat off as possible
- In a large bowl mix the flour and oats together and crumble the bacon into the mixture. (The best way to crumble the bacon is to place it in a zip lock sandwich bag you can then crumble it in your hands easy and not get greasy)
- Warm the peanut butter for around 30 seconds in the microwave and whisk in the egg and add the eater
- Make a well in the dry ingredient mixture and slowly add the peanut butter /egg/water mixture
- Knead lightly in the bowl with your hands.
- Roll the dough out on some greaseproof paper until it is about 1/2 inch thick
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the dough into suitable bite size treats and lay out on the baking tray
- Bake in the oven for around 15-20 minutes.
- Leave to cool overnight
Because these homemade dog treats do not have any additives they do not keep as long as commercially brought ones, however, if you place them in an airtight container in the fridge they will keep for around 14 days. They also freeze very well.